Friday, February 11, 2011

Winter Stream on Exhibit at the Market Street Art Center in Lockport, New York

Last Saturday, I had an opening reception to attend at a local art gallery … two states away, in Lockport, NY with snow forecast. My photo shown above, "Winter Stream," is currently on display there until March 18, 2011. Normally there are huge obstacles in my path whenever I take on a major venture related to art, spiritual battles like a last-minute illness or car trouble. This time there was simply a sense of not wanting to travel.

Good thing I went. Sometimes, it’s not about the art after all.

My photo was hung on the second floor. But it was the first floor painting exhibit I was meant to see.

My dad died some months ago. Just a couple weeks ago, dad showed up in a dream asking me if I was going to watch the stars. We had gone stargazing and watched shooting stars for many years, in the town of Lockport where both the dream and then the art show took place. The first floor paintings … many were titled with “Dream” or "Vision" and contained shooting stars. The more I walked through Andy Russell's exhibit, the more shooting stars I saw.

Below is a link to an example of Andy Russell's work. It happens to be called "Heaven's Window." And yes, it contains a shooting star ...

http://www.andyrussell.com/hwindow.htm

21 comments:

Velvet Over Steel said...

Well I'm so glad you went also. & even more that you take your dreams seriously! Awesome that your dad talked to you in your dream. I have dreams like that too. I'm sure we do because of our strong faith and connection with ourselves and our family. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post, your experience with us!

Big Hug,
Coreen

P.S. Your picture is Amazing too!!! You are so very talented!!

Kateri said...

Your photo is lovely, and the story about the art exhibit with the shooting stars and your dad is very sweet.

Linda said...

That is a very sweet story...your work is beautiful.

TexWisGirl said...

Oh how sweet that your dad is still with you. And sharing shooting stars with you... :)

Dawn said...

Lovely post and dream! So glad you got to see the stars....and shooting ones at that!
Looks like you and your photo(s) are reaching for them too..GREAT picture!!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story. xoxo

Allison said...

Such a lovely picture. Haunting, but comforting.

Nancy said...

Super that you overcame your obstacles and were able to experience something special.

Your photograph is spectacular. :)

Montanagirl said...

Wonderful photo you posted! Always love seeing what you're getting photos of!

Janie said...

A lot of times I find that pushing myself to do something ends up with unexpectedly good results.
I'm glad you went and had such a wonderful experience, connecting past to present.
Beautiful photo!

LV said...

A beautiful post and tribute to your dad. Stars can tell us lot thins if we would just look for them. Enjoyed my visit today.

Dianna said...

It's amazing that I read this blog post today - it was posted yesterday, but I was sick and wasn't able to be on the computer.
My dad died 57 years ago today. I was 8 months old, so I never knew him.
That's wonderful that you were led to see the art work with the stars - after your dreams.....

Dianna
www.thesedaysofmine.com

Tracy said...

Ahhh, I'm so glad you found the courage to go to NY...I know your Dad was proud of you and he was there to help you along the way.
Good for you and facing your reluctance~
The photo is absolutely gorgeous~ congrats on it being displayed!

Lesley said...

Such a lovely photo.
Thanks for visiting me. I will be in Niagara Falls at the end of the month - I may just have to wander over to Lockport and visit this gallery, if I have time.

Unknown said...

How moving! I can imagine that was very good for you soul. :) Congrats on your photo too!

stardust said...

First of all, let me congratulate on your “Winter Stream” displayed at exhibition. I love it when the light is so bright in that monochromatic color tone. While reading your sweet tribute to your father, my thoughts return to my own deceased father who I believe is still watching, protecting, and guiding me like yours.

jp@A Green Ridge said...

How sweet that you & your Dad would stargaze. I love watching the stars!...:)JP

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

What a sacred event that turned out to be! I'm sure you are missing your Dad and I'm very sorry for your loss. But to feel that connection to him again in such a unique way, priceless.
At the same time, your photo is stunning, love the B/W so congratulations on the showing too.

Ola said...

congratulations about the exhibition:)

Naquillity said...

i'm so pleased you were able to go to the exhibit. it sounds like you and your father were connected in a special way. i'm so sorry for your loss.

your photograph is beautiful, btw. i hope it does well at the exhibit. have a great day.

Barb said...

I like your stream photo a lot. Your Dad was there with you in spirit.