Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Go Light Your World

"I hope you like your present this year. It's really not much." So said a dear friend of mine this past Christmas. Seems many of us find ourselves on a budget these days.

I assured my friend that in fact I loved the candle. It was green. It was vegan. It smelled good ... like " fir, pine, and an earthy smokiness from the fireplace" according to the description. So I kept my Christmas Hearth candle from AuntieDis Etsy shop right by the computer along with a lighter.

Good thing. The power went out this past Sunday night just after I'd taken dinner out of the oven, and my flashlight batteries didn't work. Ah, the simple pleasure of enjoying chicken, rice, and rosé wine by comforting candlelight rather than in the unsettling pitch darkness of a blackened apartment complex.


Better to light one candle than curse the darkness. And even better to give light and joy to a friend.

This candle came from an Etsy shop called AuntieDis, which you can visit at the following link:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntieDis

The photo below was taken by AuntieDis and shows the listing for the Christmas Hearth Candle:


18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

Very nice and useful gift. :) Good thing you kept it handy!

Dawn said...

Very sweet. Nothing better than light from a friend.
Going to check out that link. Candles are my weakness....

Tracy said...

CC, Very nice post...I love these two lines you speak: "Better to light one candle than curse the darkness. And even better to give light and joy to a friend"
that gesture seems so simple and goes along with 'noticing' others.
I try to 'notice' my friends and affirm their importance in my life, and you obviously do as well.
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing your light~

stardust said...

I feel mellow with this post like with sweet wine and good food. I wonder why I haven't presented candles to my friends till now?

I love faint flickering light of a candle.

Dianna said...

The gift that keeps on giving! Glad it was so handy when you needed it.

Dianna
www.thesedaysofmine.com

Nancy said...

Nice! Who doesn't love or need a sweet-smelling candle. :)

Montanagirl said...

We have a couple little Coleman Lamps that take "D" batteries for just such an occasion. They're actually nice looking enough that I keep them sitting out at all times.

Mary said...

sounds like a very pleasant evening.
i love candles, light them just about everyday!

LV said...

It pays to have candles ,and a flash light, when the lights go out. Candles always make for great gifts.

Linda said...

So sweet....I always keep nice candles around just in case the power goes out.

Unknown said...

Looks like a very nice candle and how lucky you had it near when the power went out. :)

Cynthia said...

I love candles! I'm on my way to browse that particular shop. the only problem I have, is leaving them lit. So, I have to be careful. Many blessings!

Allison said...

Very pretty! I love what you said... Better to light one candle than curse the darkness. Wonderful.

Terry said...

That's exactly the kind of gift that's special.

penny said...

Its nice to have a friend light up your life that way. One never know how much a small gift will become the most needed thing in life.

hugs,
Pam

Janie said...

Candles are always good gifts, and they sure do come in handy during a power failure.

earthdust said...

I loved how you expressed yourself in your post about your candle. I got teary eyed when I read it.
Thanks for being a good friend to me.

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.