Saturday, January 2, 2010

On the Road Again


As Dierks Bentley would sing,
"Pair of boots and a sack of clothes
Free and easy down the road I go ... "

Then again, maybe not. We’re under a Lake Effect Snow advisory all weekend! So I was wearing the boots and had a spare set of clothes just in case I got stranded in a snowdrift. Don’t worry, the photo is from two years ago.

Today I journeyed from Cleveland, Ohio to Lockport, NY because it was the last day of the holiday art exhibit at the Market Street Art Center. Starting Monday the art gallery will be closed during January for renovations. So it was now or never to pick up my artwork.

All the way there, I was picturing the framed photo “Mineral Water” and my plans to possibly enter it in another show or two this year.

Plans change. Walked into the gallery to claim the photo … to discover an empty space on the wall! Well, almost empty. Looked for my name, didn’t see it. What I saw was a placard bearing some OTHER artist’s name, and one of those little bright red “sold” stickers! Good news is, it turns out that my “Mineral Water” had indeed sold!

“Welcome to Narnia” was still there to pick up and take home, which I did. But you know, even if both photos had sold and I had driven all that way through patches of challenging winter weather (as in … Hey, What Are Those Purty Blinkin-Lights ... AAAAIIIIIIEEEEE, IT’S A SNOW PLOW ….. good thing the brakes are working!) … it still would have been worth the whirlwind out-of-state trip "there and back again" to pick up nothing, just to find out the news in person that Something had sold.

From here?

"Ain't no tellin' where the wind might blow
Free and easy down the road I go ... "

7 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Diane and Happy New Year. I was watching the Rose Bowl yesterday and saw your Ohio State boys win big against Oregon. Great game.

CountryDreaming said...

Okay, now this is intriguing. "Diane" is actually not my real name ... however, I did use it as a cover name in college in a pranksterish sort of way while playing practical jokes. Cool start to the New Year to see this curiously-provoked memory, makes me smile. Happy New Year to you as well, Annie!

Annie Jeffries said...

Well, heck! That does it. We need to email. I notice yours isn't visible but mine is so drop a line if you like. This Twilight Zone thing is fun but reality is better. So glad I did not miss this reply comment. All my best, Annie

Teresa Mallen said...

Well woo-hoo, congrats on the sale and the safe drive home! Happy New Year Queen of Narnia!!!!

Janie said...

Congratulations on the sale! I hope you got home without encountering too many snowy roads.
I wish you a happy, healthy, and successful new year!

CountryDreaming said...

Annie: Nice to meet you again in e-mail!

Teresa Mallen and Janie: Thank you both for your well wishes!

Montanagirl said...

Congrats on the sale! Happy New Year to you.