Monday, February 9, 2009

The Sky Is Not the Limit


Out of the three photos I submitted to the juried photography exhibit “Observations” currently underway this month at the Market Street Art Center in Lockport, New York, it’s fitting that “Intergalactic Scenic Overlook” should get a special mention in this blog. I live in Northeast Ohio now. But when I lived in Lockport and went to junior and senior high school there, I lived surrounded by outer space. I carried science fiction books … or written notes for weaving my own tales of otherworldly adventure … from class to class along with books for math, science, English, Spanish, Latin, and social studies.

I’m happy to report that “Intergalactic Scenic Overlook” won first place in the photography exhibit.

For information on “Observations,” here’s a link to the Market Street Art Center’s website:

http://www.marketstreetartcenter.org/shows.html

Question for Readers: Have you maintained a lifelong hobby or interest? How has it developed over the years? Please feel welcome to leave a comment and share your experiences.

9 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Country Dreaming---Congrats!!! That's marvelous!!! I love the picture and am so proud of you for winning...

Hope you had a great day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Peggy said...

Amazing image! Award winning...Duh!!

I've scrolled through your blog and am in awe of your photography! Glad you found mine, so that I could find yours! I'm still shaking my head at your !st place photo...Wow!

Mary said...

This is great and congratulations! It does have a very outer space feel to that landscape. I guess my life-long hobby is reading. I don't think I've gone a day without reading since the day I first learned how! I find that I'm reading a bit less now, but that is because blogs don't count as books :-)

CountryDreaming said...

Betsy from Tennessee, HANNIBAL, Mary: Thank you very much for your kind compliments!

As for reading, whether it's "official" as in book reading or "fun" as in blogging, it's definitely a life-enriching experience and a hobby worth keeping.

jalynn01 said...

Your photo is so 'other worldly' and amazing. It doesn't look real. No wonder you won First! Congrats!

Until I was 40 my 4 children were my focus but since then (22 yrs now) my hobbies have been many. I cook, bake, paint, sing, garden, an avid reader, decorate, sew, ...but my favorite has to be wildlife photography and birdwatching. Thanks for asking.

CountryDreaming said...

jalynn01: Thank you very much! When it comes to wildlife photography and birdwatching, I'm glad that's your favorite combined hobby. You present the two masterfully in your blog, with all of your readers benefitting from the "up close and personable" landscape and nature travelogues on Pennsylvania's beauty. I know I enjoy it.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

CD: Congrats on winning the prize with the neat painting. I also like Sci-Fi and think this is neat.
I see we share a lot of friends.

CountryDreaming said...

fishing guy: Thank you very much. Glad to meet a like mind and kindred spirit when it comes to science fiction! Am sure we also have a love of nature in common, seeing as how this interest leads us to read the same blogs.

Annie Jeffries said...

Congratulations! How exciting for you. I also liked, very much, the horses in a subsequent post.